Monday, July 30, 2012
Sunday, July 29, 2012
- Movements in art and design, film, literature and music where the work is stripped down to its most basic and raw.
I have talked about minimalism in some of my past posts but never actually described what it meant. Minimalism is often interpreted as the act of decluttering one's life, which is a part of being a minimalist. Minimalism is simplicity-living with less, to be content with who you are and what you have. It is knowing that buying is not the solution (rarely is it ever).
I have not always been living a minmalist lifestyle. I was very much a cluttered person, buying clothes and never wearing it, an impulse consumer. With this cluttered life, I always tried to look for ways to declutter my life, which was to buy more organizational items, but the solution was to simply throw or give away my clothing items to a charity. At that time, I thought it was a waste of money to throw away the clothes and shoes I never wore, but now what good is it to have things you don't need? My friends, who have been in my room know how head aching it was! If I had only the simplest items of clothing, imagine how less cluttered my life would be. Decluttering my life is not only to do with clothes but with just living a life in the simplest way. When you are placed in difficult situation, breathe and try to resolve it in the simplest way possible. I can not say that I am a fully transformed minimalist, but it is definatley more relaxing and you start to see a new POV in life.
Transforming into a minimalist isn't a one day process, but when you stop buying unecessary items, it will be much easier. It is a journey and it shows you how beautiful simplicity is.
Friday, July 27, 2012
Currently obsessing over Maison Martin Margiela's dresses from the Spring/Summer 2012 collection. Simple, deconstructed, and a sense of imbalance that is oh-so pleasing to the eye.
I II III IV
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Monday, July 23, 2012
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Yesterday at the festival, I stopped by Buffalo Exchange to see what I could find and luckily I found this black hi-low dress/top with a net detail back. I'm going to cut it shorter. I needed an ivory bralette so i picked this beautiful lace detailed one at Urban Outfitters. At first I was very hesitant and decided I was not going to buy it but then walked back and picked it up because I've been searching for a ivory lace bralette for a long time and I felt like this was the one.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Yesterday, I had a very bad stomach ache which led to throwing up and not sleeping for the entire night. I felt absolutely sick but I knew that if I stayed home I would only focus on the sickness so I decided to get dressed and go to a popular and eclectic shopping place called Nob Hill. It reminds me of Melrose in California. It is an outdoors shopping area with lots vintage shops, cute cafés, and not to mention the unique street style. Today, they were having a festival with bands and lots of activities to choose from. Even though I felt horrible, that did not stop me from visiting a lot of shops to see what kind of things I can find! I went to Buffalo Exchange and Urban Outfitters and just picked up 2 things, which I will show tomorrow. I tried to take a decent outfit photo, but the lighting was horrible so this was the best I could do.
Asymmetrical top by H&M
White jeans by J Brand
Ankle strap heels by ZARA
Friday, July 20, 2012
Thursday, July 19, 2012
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Black blazer by Topshop
V-neck by T- by Alexander Wang
Oxford top by ACNE
Black belt by Topman
Black midrise skinnys by J Brand
Black pumps by Yves Saint Laurent
Bag by Céline
As females, we have the tendency to buy A LOT of clothes, but how many of those clothing items are versatile until the next season? I've been there. I would buy a lot of clothes and most of the clothing items weren't even versatile for the next season so I was left with clothes piling up and usually left for sale. I was pretty aware with the basics in a versatile wardrobe but never actually got around in building a functional wardrobe until maybe two years ago. Trends change all the time, but not the basics.
- Most of us probably have one of the most basic an essential clothing item already: the denim. Denim jeans is as basic as it gets. Whether it's low rise, medium rise, high rise, light wash, dark wash, or raw, they function as a very versatile piece. The rise really depends on your body. For me, a high waisted is most flattering since I have a long torso, but short legs. Denim jeans can be paired with really ANY top. A peplum top, an oxford shirt, a classic v-neck, or even a blouse. It can be dressed up with a pair of pumps or dressed down to your favourite sneakrs or boots.
- The v-neck is something I really emphasize in building a functional wardrobe. It can be worn during any season by just layering up or down. Add a basic black blazer to dress it up or a cardigan or your favourite jersey jacket to dress it down.
- The oxford shirt- an oxford shirt is really just a fancy name for a button down top. The oxford top is something we are all familiar with. It is as versatile as the v-neck but it has a more sophisticated feel to it than the v-neck. When I don't really have any inspiration for an outfit, I just pair this top buttoned 3/4's way, with my favourite boyfriend jeans and a pair of black pumps and you have an outfit that is effortless and chic.
- It surprises me how many people that don't actually own a basic black belt! It serves as a basic accessory. It REALLY brings an outfit together and the belt alone can be enough to not have to accessorize. Really make an investment in a good belt because you wan't it to last you a very long time.
- A classic black blazer is a piece I wear probably 3 times a week, depending on the season. I always turn to my trusty black blazer when I want to dress up an outfit without going overboard. It really is one of those items that you will want in your wardrobe because it can really be SOO versatile. It can be worn with shorts, skirts, or long jeans. There are many types of black blazers such as the boyfriend blazer or tailored. Tailored blazers are meant to be more sophisticated because of its fitted style. A boyfriend blazer would be best worn with denim shorts, boyfriend jeans, or just a basic denim pants.
- Now my favourite part- black pumps. These beauties will do you well in the long run so invest in a WELL made pump. Not only are they a neutral, they will go with any outfit whether it's formal or informal. When you're going for the effortless look, a basic black pump can be paired with boyfriend jeans and a loose white v-neck. I love black pumps made by Altuzarra.
- Bags are an item you definitely want to make a good investment on. They don't have to necessarily break you wallet, but invest in one that is well made and can go with any outfit. I find black bags tend to go with all of my outfits, so theres a tip! For me a bag has to be black, a satchel or a medium sized shoulder bag (large ones can look too bulky), leather, and atleast 1 inside compartment with a zipper.
Monday, July 16, 2012
Anna Dello Russo always looks so chic! Loving the take on the classic blazer matched with green trousers! What a nice twist on the timeless look. I believe you can get soo much inspiration just from the people around you- So when you're lacking inspiration, just take a look around!
from Tommy Ton @ Jak & Jil.
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Shirt by T by Alexander Wang
Jeans by Current/Elliott
Shoes by Zara
Bag by 3.1 Phillip lim
Cuff by House of Harlows
I needed a basic black sandal so I purchased the Zara heels and also bought the Current/Elliott python print jeans because it would go perfect with an outfit that doesn't have much going on and the pants would be enough to make the outfit look interesting. I purchased the jeans full price *frown* but you can get them on sale now from Barneys.
Hope you are all having a great night!
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Even though it's been a 3 years since Margiela has left his fashion house without a successor, the design team is doing brilliantly. Anti-conformist and anti-logo, Margiela's beliefs on what he built his designs on are still used today. The color palette for this collection is subtle (with hints of color) and minimal-which I LOVE about a collection. Masculinity vs Femininity.
I've been waiting anxiously ever since rumors had it that Margiela was going to be collaborating with H&M for the autumn/winter collection. I am thrilled and have been saving money to splurge. To be honest, I am excited to see Margiela x H&M but Margiela's designs, thoughts, and aesthetics are kind of hard to transfer onto budget priced pieces. You can find it in stores on 15th November, 2012.
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
My two favourites from the Autumn / Winter 2012-2013 collection. Phillip Lim mixes both masculinity and femininity into this collection. The design's overall are quite boxy, but then he incorporates fitted trousers and bodycon dresses which show femininity. The balance is perfect. Turtle neck's are making their comeback this year. I was never really a fan of turtle necks, I actually found them quite ugly- but it was designed for it's function. I am really loving the subtle color's for this collection.
Ann Demeulemeester is one of most favourite designers. Her collections are always so stunning, and it's always very different. Demeulemeester knows how to layer textures and fabrics to create adrogynous looks, and you can still see that hint of femininity in all of her designs. Of course, if you know Demeulemeester, she always incorporates very funky hair styles to go with her collections. It's always so amusing! Really loving the maxi length dress with the side slit. It adds to the design and it looks sexy.
Monday, July 9, 2012
Received my ACNE jeans today. The style is called 'Needle wet cash' and it's high waisted and black. Two in one. I own a lot of black pairs of jeans but these are the nicest pair I probably own. The white leather branding on the back is such a nice touch. I tried them on and they flatter ever inch of your body. It was a little big though, but with a hot wash it should get smaller (or I hope).
Oh, and the photo's are such rubbish quality. I ordered a Nikon so I'm very exciteeeeeeed :)
You can get the ACNE jeans here.
Friday, July 6, 2012
Some of my favourite items from La Garçonne that I picked. I've been looking for the perfect black boot and Maison Martin Margiela's "Perfecto" boot is the one!
1. Henry Vibskov, Marlou shirt dress
2. Acne, Sloan silk zip top
3. Acne, Pistol boot
4. Rachel Comey, Jasper dress
5. Maison Martin Margiela, Perfecto boot
6. Thakoon, Drape back shirt dress